Wednesday 24 March 2010

guuuaaaards! and Lucius the grumpy one armed pomper


The roman guards i quite enjoyed conceptualising, i used a site called elm street guard for reference for uniforms and equipment and such like and the general attitude they seemed to have on there faces was quite filling for the character i had in mind as the people on the site take there re-enactments quite seriously. I found the amount of detail on a roman soldiers uniford quite significant so i went through a process of drawing different variations of the uniform to end up with the simplified version you see above which i think worked quite well. As before with the other characters i found the drawing of the hands difficult especially in this pose.


For the turnaround of the character i found it difficult to get the positioning of the legs and waist right on the turn, and trying to keep all the accessorys in the right proportion and volume as the body turned was a nightmare for me. I think i could benefit from drawing the body out more fully in the pose before adding clothes over the top.

Lucius what can i say i didnt do as much work on him but i just love his look its so epically grumpy and he's got that bossy pose about him in the coloured pose above. I did do some facial expressions for him which helped me grasp his character but they where only development work so i didnt want to put them in the bible. I think i nailed the face on the this one but again im let down by my feet and hand drawing skills which i think i will need to focus on drawing from different angles in my sketch book.

The turnaround for lucius i think works well but thats because his design is so simple, but again foot work needs to be done, i drew that foot about 10 times in the middle but i just couldnt get the forshortening right. I think maybe if i had made the sandle design a bit simpler that may have helped me.

No comments: