Monday, 12 April 2010

and that my friend is how you flap a frubin towel

For the flags adam needed me to make, they needed to have wind to do this i had to do some ncloth tutorials that adam had brought to my attention under maya help which where actually quite useful and i managed to make about three varieties of flags. I spoke to adam about trying to make a double ended flag like a gateway style of thing with wind, but i couldnt find any tutorials for this and i tried to give it ago but maya wasnt having it the way i tried to do it, but im sure there is a way if someone finds out id be interested to know.

Below are the 3 different variations of flags i did with slight different wind on each one to suit the flag and make it flap nice yeaaaaaa.


video


video
video

more stress festness

The next thing adam wanted me to make was a large john peel style tent, and he gave me a few reference images for this but i needed a orthegraphic drawing really of side, front and top. so i did one of my own so i knew what the tent needed to look like and i collected some of my own research images also for this from which i found some sick designs for festival tents. I went through a process of trying a few different ways of constructing the tent and tried a few variations which i was showing adam as i modelled them and i let him decide on. In the end he chose the original design and i grouped that together to make a quad peaked tent and i jutted the peaks out to give it the cartoony effect that adam was asking for.


An Initial idea for john peel (below)

Final idea for 4 peaked john peel festival tent, different views (below)


stressss festtttt

For my third year crew assignment i was assigned to the Stress Fest project being produced by Adam Lawrence, i was assigned to do animation work, but Adam mainly needed modelling to be done, uv unwrapping and texturing.
Me and Simon A split the modelling between us, I had to do 3 different tents and a big festival tent and some flags with wind. The first 2 tents where easy enough to get the basic outline using the reference images i was provided as orthegraphic views, but refining the shape took a little more time for me as i had been doing a design project for a while previously and had not touched maya for about a month due to this.
2 man tent (below)
family tent (below) back
family tent (below) front
Once i had made the tents basic shape i added details to refine and smooth adding in ropes and pegs also and some air vents. I sent the tents to adam for feedback and he adivsed me how he wanted them to look different and i altered and added detail to suit his needs. The teepee i found particulary difficult as it was an odd shape, i had to fiddle with a lot of verticies to get there, but i did in the end get something that looked like a prity good teepee.


Next the fun part, nattt i had to learn how to uv unwrap, which i had briefly learnt in the first year on a elephant if i remember right. For the uv unwrapping this time i got a digital tutors video tutorial of a dinasour which was nice and easy for me to follow and i quickly started to pick it up again. Though i still found it difficult to figure what bits went where in places. I got simon to check everything just to make sure id unwrapped it all proper as he had more experience of it than me whichw as prity helpful. And finally i had to do some uv snapshots for the models which was easy enough once i found the button ahhhh.

UV unwrapping the small 2 man tent (below)