Friday 8 January 2010

modelling the marine...

To start my space marine off I got back in touch with trying to remember how to make image planes which I have done many times but keep forgetting but then I did a quick refresh on spafi (www.spafi.org) and found a quick tutorial to remind me how to do it, this website is a very useful website for 3d animation resources in case anyone hasn't already found it. I has some blueprint resources for modeling anything from a handgun to a tank ect. I projected the side view and front view of my marine onto the corresponding image planes and started to model the head and this is my progress so far see below, the head is a little bit different than I originally drew up but im not going to add any detail in till later maybe have a play in mudbox later once i get the hang of that then bring it back into maya then back and forth till I get the right look. Though so far I like the overall shape of the head. I think it is a little bit darth vader looking, I need to work on the top part to make it look more like one of those wooly russian hats the ushankas which is a distinctively sterotypical russian hat but I only want it in the shape of a ushanka as its supposed to be made of metal that represents the shape of the hat to give it that russian ussr look.

1 comment:

hollybird said...

you know how "ushanka" translates, dont you? Its an ear-hat :)

ushi = two or more ears