Wednesday 5 January 2011

New yr presents Dissertation & Rigging score!

Ok so last few weeks I decided it was best for me to put the rigging down and work on my dissertation as im slow with anything that involves writing. I know I havent done enough dissertation work up to christmas break, so I decided to get a good amount of that done and worked out. I would much rather work on my project work as I want to have something good to show end of term, but I have to balance my time to fit the dissertation in also without doing a bodge job of it. As Im one of the first people to see anna when we get back also so the more I do now, I figure the more chance I have to get good feedback. Iv done the bulk of it and planned out how Im going to make the last 1/3 fit in and conclude my arguement. Though im still organising my research in my plan to back up my points at the moment before I commence writing the last part.

So after christmas I started workin on the rig again, now thinking more about how im doing the hands as well as the feet. As I started to do the classic foot roll and ik leg, I realised It needed to be more like a hand as he will need to grip trees and walk more like a monkey. So I scrapped the foot and started on the hand instead. I looked at a few different ways of doing the hand, individual fk controls, set driven keys or using a script to make a menu that would speed things up. I decided to go down the script route to try make things quicker, as I would have many joints to make many different actions. The script was supposed to duplicate set driven keys for each joint, so each joint could work with other joints and seperately. For example fist and spread would be able to work together or seperately and then you could still individually curl each finger on its own as well. The script also allowed for the creation of individual fk controls. However I after a long time typing and de bugging the script, I found that different errors started to come up that I couldn't figure out how to fix. I decided that although this script I was following may help me in the long run to create the foot joint like the hand, it would be quicker for me to use set driven keys. At least till I get some scripting advice as im cack at it. I feel this may not be as user friendly using the set driven keys for the animators, though if I get more time I will try make a more user friendly animation control for the hands.

So I went back to doing the simple channel box slider using set driven keys, using one hand control anim as the base as show below. And the current controls viewed in channel box is were im up to at the moment. I will be adding more in for individual finger control and maybe some fk finger control if necessary and if I have time. I will obviously be making the foot slightly different to the hand, in that it will have a few extra control for actions that only apply to feet. Essentially though it will be the same as a hand. I will be updating again soon with video showing all the range of movements with my hand controls.

No comments: