Saturday 13 March 2010

character development doctor who?

For the doctor I went through quite a lot of development, I wanted him to be a exploring medicine man kind of character but to still have some features of the doctor who played by Christopher Eccleston like the big nose and jutting chin. So i firstly looked at characters from different animation and comic sorces who had big chins and noses and played around doing some rough sketches. At first i wanted to give my character a beard but then i later decided against it as i thought it would make him a little to rugged looking for the character and outfits i had in mind.



I started to draw up the rough shape of the doctor i wanted him to be tall like most of the other doctors but i wanted to be a bit bigger build. I then started to look at marvel comic book styles of drawing faces and that of "making faces" a book about drawing cartoon characters. As i didnt have much skill before this project at drawing faces these 2 books really helped me a lot. I started to generate ideas of what i wanted the doctor to look like face wise drawing his face from different angles and in different facial expressions and changing certain features of the face. I found this part quite enjoyable and i think i did a good job of achieving some interestingly different facial expressions.



This face drawing exercise helped me to settle on the look for my doctor who character. I went with a big long coat with a fluffy neck giving him this winter explorer kind of look and long hair and a roman nose. I also gave him some big boots to compliment his outdoor nature and a polo neck scalf. I really liked this look on the doctor as in my mind it gave him a well travelled look about him. I was quite happy with the way the doctor turned out but i think if i had more time i would have liked to work on refining his outfit a bit more.

No comments: